Juanita's chicken soup via Shauna



The first time I had this was at book club. My friend Shauna made it and I loved it. Tonight I made this for dinner and the kids inhaled it!

1 lb. of chicken breast or thighs (cut into 1" pieces)
2 large white onions (finely chopped)
4 (or more) garlic cloves (minced)
2 T. butter

1 T. Cinnamon
1/2 Cayenne pepper or to taste (if you aren't a super spicy person I would be careful with this ingredient, I uded 1 tsp of chili powder which is milder)
2 t. Cumin

Saute all of the above until onions are translucent (add garlic at the end) then add the following to the pan

4 C. chicken broth (you may need more)
juice from half a lime
1 t. salt or to taste (check chicken broth for sodium content)
1/2 t. black pepper
2 cans of garbonzo beans drained

I like to garnish it with different things such as ripe avacados, extra wedges of lime, chopped cilantro, julienne some radishes and/or carrots, finely chopped red onions, scallions, tortilla chips and maybe some queso fresca.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to know how this recipe turned out for you, so please leave a review. You can always leave general comments and questions about this recipe as well. HAPPY COOKING!